Applications and Admissions FAQs


Can I send documents such as transcripts and test scores for evaluation before submitting an application for admission?

No. We will not review any documents until you have submitted an application.

Where do I send my official transcripts?

Physical transcripts can be addressed and mailed to

ATTN: Admissions Officers
School of Graduate Studies
Utah State University
0900 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-0900

Electronic transcripts can be sent through electronic clearinghouse to

What if I can’t find my previous institution in the drop-down box in the application?

Please select 'Unlisted' on the application and write in the name of the institution.

How do I pay my application fee?

Pay your application fee through the online application portal. Any other method will not be accepted. If you’re having difficulties, please contact USU’s IT Department.

How do I change incorrect information on my application?

If you need to change your address, social security number, or date of birth, please contact USU’s IT Department.

Anything related to the academic tab and supplemental items can be changed by the Admission Officers.

NOTE: Applications can only be edited before they are marked complete and before they are referred to the department for review.

What are supplemental items?

Some departments require additional information and documentation for the application process. The required information for your intended program will appear in the “supplemental items” tab in your USU application.

Please contact the department you’re applying to for more information on the supplemental items required for your application.

How do I submit supplemental items?

First, make sure you have paid the application fee and submitted the initial application.

Second, log back into the application portal and open your submitted application. There will be a new tab for you to upload all required supplemental items.

What do I need to include in my statement of purpose?

Each department has different requirements for the statement of purpose. Please contact the graduate program coordinator for your intended department.

My referee has not received an email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation. What should I do?

Ensure you listed the correct contact information for the referee in the letter of recommendation request form. 

If the information is correct and the referee still has not received an email, recommend they check their spam folder for the email. 

An admissions officer will upload the letter as soon as they are able.

What is a graduate program coordinator (GPC)?

GPCs are the link between graduate students, departments, and the School of Graduate Studies. GPCs assist graduate students with deadlines, degree completion, and thesis/dissertation requirements. Your department’s GPC should be your first point of contact when you have questions about your application deadlines and materials.

How can I find my graduate program coordinator (GPC)?

Visit the graduate program coordinator webpage.

Do I have to submit official test scores?

Yes. If your prospective department of study requires test scores, they must be official. If you use unofficial test scores, your application will be considered incomplete. Please refer to the supplemental items tab in your application to see if test scores are required for your program (i.e., includes MAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, and IELTS scores).

Why are my test scores not showing up on my application even though I’ve already submitted them? 

It can take the testing company 10-14 business days to process your request, and it can take an additional 10-14 business days for the graduate admissions officers to process your test scores on your application.

If your test scores are still not showing up after waiting an appropriate amount of time for processing, please contact It is possible your biographical information on your test scores do not match your application.

Do I qualify for an application fee waiver?

Contact the graduate program coordinator for your program to see if you qualify for a waiver.

Who do I contact regarding financial aid?

Please reach out to the department to which you applied for information on fee waivers, assistantships, and scholarship opportunities. 

What financial aid resources are available to me?

Your department may have department-specific financial aid opportunities. 

You may also qualify for federal student loans. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

You can also explore USU’s financial aid page and the School of Graduate Studies cost and funding webpage for additional opportunities.

I submitted everything for my application, but I have not heard anything. Who should I contact?

Admission decisions are made by each individual department. Please contact the graduate program coordinator for your program for further information.

How do I defer my start date?

Students have until the end of the semester of their entry term to defer their start date. If they don’t take classes or request a deferral before this date, they will have to reapply in the next application cycle for a USU graduate program. To obtain a start-date deferral, students must contact their department’s graduate program coordinator.