Since its founding in 1888, USU has been educating students from the Mountain West region and beyond. For information on how to become part of the Aggie family, check out the links below.
Steps to Apply
1. Visit Our Website
a. Go to gradschool.usu.edu/apply/ to start the application process.
b. Read all admissions requirements on our website.
c. Click on the “Apply Now” bar to create an account to apply.
2. Fill Out Application
a. Fill out the following information:
iii. Misdemeanor/Felony information, if necessary
v. Academic History
vi. Intended Program of Study Information
vii. NOTE: You cannot submit supplemental items until you have filled out all personal and demographic information, submitted the application, and paid the application fee.
b. Make sure to select the correct entry term (e.g. Fall 2021, Spring 2022, etc)
c. Submit the application and pay the fee.
i. If you have a waiver code, use it in the discount code box to waive the fee.
3. Supplemental Items
a. Log back into the USU Recruit Application Portal.
b. Enter your application to submit items
c. Required supplemental items may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. USU Applicants do not need to send transcripts. We pull them from our system for you.
2. All other applicants, please send your transcripts to the following address:
a. School of Graduate Studies Utah State University 0900 Old Main Hill Logan, UT 84322-0900
ii. Letters of Recommendation
1. Fill out the recommendation request forms. Recommendations must come from referee, not from applicant, to be considered valid.
iii. Statement of Purpose
iv. GRE Scores
1. Send to school code 4857
v. MAT Scores
1. Send to school code 2273
vi. TOEFL Scores
1. Send to school code 4857
vii. IELTS Scores
1. Upload student copy to application, clearly showing TRF number.
2. Our test score processor will upload official scores.
How Your Application is Processed
When you submit your application, our Admissions staff tracks it from submission to completion: we calculate GPAs, upload transcripts and test scores, and send completed applications to departments for review. We also troubleshoot errors you might encounter, such as duplicated items, missing items, or incorrect information on your application.
Once all your supplemental items are submitted, your application is complete and is referred to the department to which you applied for review. Once your application has been reviewed by the Graduate Committee in the department to which you applied, Admissions sends out acceptance and denial letters. If you receive a denial letter and have questions about why you were denied, reach out to the Graduate Program Coordinator (GPC) for more information. If you are accepted, you need to decide whether to accept or reject the offer and inform Graduate Admissions of your decision.
If you are admitted to a program, when you respond and accept the offer, Admissions sets up your Graduate registration so you can register for courses and apply for financial aid. If, after you are accepted, you need to defer your admission, you should first accept the offer, and then contact your GPC to discuss the best semester to defer to. Your GPC will then contact Graduate Admissions, and a Graduate Admissions Counselor will process the deferral. You can defer for up to one academic year from your original start term.
After your registration has been set up, go to your department advisor or GPC with all your questions. Admissions does not have information on how to register, set up your MyUSU account, or other new student information.
Frequently Asked Questions
You should have your institution send transcripts directly to the School of Graduate Studies. There are two ways to send transcripts: mail and electronic clearinghouse.
- Mail copies to
- School of Graduate Studies Utah State University 0900 Old Main Hill Logan, UT 84322-0900
- Electronic Clearinghouse Copies sent to
We require you to submit official copies of your transcripts for your application to be considered.
- As long as your international transcript clearly shows credit hours and grades, we do not require it to be sent via an evaluation company.
- If your transcript does not show credit hours or grades clearly, you will be asked to submit it through an evaluation company such as WES.
- First, make sure you have paid the application fee and submitted the application.
- Second, log back into the Recruit Portal and enter your submitted application. There will be slots to upload all required supplemental items, including letter of recommendation request forms.
Please contact an Admissions Counselor with the information you need changed or updated. We will need to confirm your identity according to FERPA regulations, and then we will be able to get your application updated.
- NOTE: Applications can only be updated before they are marked complete.
In order for your application to be considered complete, we must receive official test scores.
- This includes MAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, and IELTS scores.
If the sole language of instruction at your international institution is English, you can ask the Registrar for a formal letter that states the language of instruction. Upload this to the application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
- Otherwise, you will have to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. This is a requirement of the US Government and cannot be waived.
Please reach out to the department to which you applied for information on financial aid and scholarship opportunities. The School of Graduate Studies Admissions does not have any information on financial aid.
- Check to make sure you have put in the correct contact information for the referee in the letter of recommendation request form.
- If the information is correct and the referee still has not received an email, have them check their spam folder for the email.
- If they still cannot find the email request, have them send the letter directly to email@example.com and a processor will upload the letter within 7 business days.
Inform your referee that the letter was not successfully uploaded to the application. Have them send the letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and a processor will upload the letter within 7 business days.
Re-enter the application portal and delete the old referee contact information and submit the new referee contact information.
- If you are unable to access the form, contact email@example.com and request a new letter of recommendation item be added to your application.