USU Health Insurance Plan Details
Utah State University offers an insurance policy through First Underwriters. The plan is underwritten by United Healthcare insurance company and is compliant with the Affordable Care Act. This insurance plan is available for Logan campus students only.
The Insurance plan has a $500.00 deductible. You will be required to pay a co-pay (co-pay amount depends on the type of services received off-campus), and a portion of the total bill for off-campus visits.
- Office visits: $35.00 co-pay
- Emergency Room: $200.00 co-pay
- 20% of the balance for services received off-campus when you use the UHC Choice Plus Network.
- Prescriptions rendered “medically necessary” will require a $20.00 co-pay for generic medications and a $40.00 co-pay for name brand medications
*A list of providers is available online.
|Rates for Voluntary Coverage for Undergraduate Students and non-subsidized Graduate Students|
1/1/24 - 8/14/24
|Two or more Children||$6,408.00||$10,468.00|
|Spouse + Two or more Children||$9,618.00||$15,702.00|
Current USU Insured Students
All insured students are expected, but not required, to use the Student Health and Wellness Center first before going to a physician off-campus. This allows us to treat medical conditions much less expensively and keeps our insurance premiums much lower.
If you have an emergency and/or the SHWC is closed, please go to one of the urgent care clinics or one of the emergency rooms in the community.
If you were covered last summer and have paid premiums for fall semester by the enrollment deadline, existing covered conditions will roll over with continuous coverage.
Graduate Student Health Insurance
To qualify for subsidized graduate health insurance you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Obtain a .5 FTE (20 hours/week) graduate assistantship for the entire semester of desired insurance coverage (Fall/Spring).
- Obtain a scholarship/fellowship of $10,000 or more for the academic year.
Note: The student must be hired and in USU’s payroll system before November 10th for the fall semester, and before April 10th for the spring semester.
Enrolling or Waiving Insurance
As a qualified student you are required to waive out or enroll in the insurance each fall and spring semester.
If you do not waive coverage by the deadline, you will be automatically enrolled in the school sponsored plan and charged the applicable premium. Absolutely NO waivers will be approved or refunds for the student premium will be issued after the deadline has passed.
Students who have enrolled on the website by or before the end of the 2nd Friday in September/January will be enrolled in the insurance program with an effective date as of August 15th for fall semester or January 1st for spring semester.
I am a Hard waiver student if â€¦
- I am an international student (F-1 or J-1 Visas)
- I am part of the WIMU Regional Program in Veterinary medicine
- I am a Full-time Graduate Assistant working 20 or more hours per week
- I am a Graduate student receiving a fellowship
- I am Graduate student receiving a scholarship of $10,000 or more from Utah State University
- Hard Waiver students are required to purchase this student insurance plan, unless proof of comparable coverage is provided.
I am a I am a Voluntary student ifâ€¦
- I am a Undergraduate student enrolled in 6 or more credit hours, attending face to face classes, and paying student feels
- I am a Graduate student taking 1 or more credits
- I am a study abroad student
Voluntary students are eligible to enroll for the Student Insurance Plan on their own, with check or money order. (Online students, independent study, home study challenge program, and house bill 60 students are not eligible.)
Students may waive out of coverage from the subsidized graduate insurance if they have another qualifying insurance plan. The waiver requirements for the insurance plan are:
- My current policy covers me this year from August 15 through December 31/January 1 through August 15.
- My current policy provides medical expenses at a minimum of 70% of the covered expenses.
- My current policy is ACA compliant (which includes pregnancy, no pre-existing conditions, preventative care, etc.).
- My current policy has a deductible of less than $500 for International Students or $3,000 for Subsidized Graduate Students.
- My current policy is issued by a United States based insurance company. (Exceptions are a Utah State University Pre-approved coverage)
- My current policy does not have rates that are discriminatory or based on age or gender.
- My policy is not an international student only policy.
USU Student Insurance Brochure
Covered benefits include care provided by hospitals, specialists, ambulance, prescription, maternity, surgery and other medically necessary care off-campus as defined in the brochure. Please read the brochure carefully for full coverage details.USU Student Medical Insurance Brochure (.pdf) USU Student Dental Insurance Brochure (.pdf) USU Student Vision Insurance Brochure (.pdf)